Roasted Cod with Mediterranean vegetables
Roasting fish and vegetables is a very easy way to make a delicious healthy meal for four. Add a crunchy cheese and breadcrumb topping for a mouth watering Mediterranean combination.
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 aubergine, cut into wedges
- 2 red peppers, seeds removed, cut into chunks
- 600g/1lb 5oz butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2cm/¾in-thick slices, then wedges
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 x 100g/3½oz cod (or haddock) fillets
- 8 tsp tomato purée
- 1–2 slices stale bread
- 50g/1¾oz mature Cheddar, finely grated
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 75g/2½oz spinach, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Put the onions, aubergine, peppers and squash on a large baking tray. Add the thyme and oil and mix until coated, then season. Roast for 35 minutes, or until golden and cooked.
Meanwhile, put the fish on a baking tray and season. Spread 2 teaspoons tomato purée on each fillet.
Pulse the bread in a food processor to make fine breadcrumbs. In a small bowl, mix 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs with the cheese. Sprinkle the mixture over each fillet and press down lightly. Cover the tray with kitchen foil and seal around the edges, then set aside. (Freeze any leftover breadcrumbs in a sealed bag to use another time)
After the vegetables have been roasting for 20 minutes, move them around the tray to make sure they’re cooking evenly. Put the fish in the oven and roast with the vegetables for 15 minutes.
Remove the foil from the fish and roast for another 5–10 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
Mix the balsamic vinegar and spinach into the hot vegetables, then serve with the fish.